In convenience retail, many brands chase efficiency, often at the expense of customer and employee experience. At Dash In, a Wills Group company, we do things differently. Here, we combine modern convenience with real human connection, all while prioritizing employee satisfaction. The result: a top workplace that delivers meaningful experiences for our customers, employees, and communities.
Don’t just take our word for it. The Wills Group and Dash In earned a spot on the Fortune Magazine Best Workplaces in RetailTM list for small and medium retailers. This recognition comes in addition to our two-year streak as a Great Place to Work® certified company.
Our internal surveys further validate these awards, consistently showing that Wills Group employees feel valued and engaged at work – sentiments that directly translate to better business outcomes for our Dash In brand.
Understanding the Convenience Retail Landscape
In a landscape where only half of U.S. workers feel satisfied with their jobs, the significance of achieving a positive customer experience while providing competitive employee benefits cannot be understated.
Industry insights from a NACS (National Association of Convenience Stores) study reveal that 80.1% of convenience retail staff believe they offer a positive shopping experience. Yet, only 56.0% feel their efforts lead to financial rewards. This underscores the importance of not only ensuring a positive customer experience but also recognizing and rewarding employees for their contributions.
At Dash In, we’re raising the bar, boasting an 84% employee engagement rate, significantly outpacing the national average. Our success stems from valuing our employees and providing them with a comprehensive benefits package. We’re not just meeting industry standards; we’re redefining them, showing that success and employee well-being can coexist in convenience retail.
Dash In’s Competitive Employee Benefits
When it comes to employee benefits, size isn’t always indicative of substance. While Dash In may be categorized as a small-to-medium retailer on the Fortune Best Workplaces in Retail list, our commitment to our employees is anything but small-scale. We proudly offer a suite of benefits that rival those of the ‘Large’ retailers on the Fortune list. Here’s a snapshot of the benefits we offer to our Dash In team.
For All Employees:
- Education and Development: From robust development programs and certificate assistance to a company-paid GED completion program, we’re here to support our employee’s educational aspirations.
- Retirement Planning: We offer an employer-matched 401(k) contribution up to 7% and provide financial planning assistance to ensure our employees’ financial security.
- Career Growth: With advancement opportunities throughout the Mid-Atlantic Region, we’re committed to helping our employees climb the career ladder.
- Employee Discounts: Our team enjoys free coffee and fountain beverages, along with discounts on fresh food and car washes.
- $500 LifeBalance Account: After 6 months of employment, part-time employees are eligible for a $500 annual contribution from Dash In to cover healthcare expenses.
- Insurance: A $10,000 life insurance benefit minimum for part-time, plus expanded options for full-time staff, including pet insurance and disability coverage.
Additionally For Full-Time Employees:
- Tuition Reimbursement: Full-Time employees are eligible for up to 100% tuition reimbursement for undergraduate and graduate degrees, as well as professional certifications and GEDs.
- Paid Time Off: Starting with 2 weeks of vacation, our employees also benefit from sick and personal leave, paid holidays, and an annual floating holiday.
- Community Engagement: We believe in giving back. That’s why we offer 2 paid community service days each year for full-time staff.
- Parental Support: New parents can take advantage of our paid parental leave.
- Healthcare: Our employees have access to affordable medical, dental, and vision plans, with an option to open a health savings account.
The Dash In Difference
While Dash In provides a comprehensive suite of benefits, our unique offerings truly set us apart. Notably, some of these benefits aren’t even available at the ‘Large’ retailers featured on the Fortune list.
Our 401(k) plan with up to 7% match, for instance, is in the top 4% of all plans according to our provider, T. Rowe Price. This is a testament to our dedication to ensuring our employees’ financial security.
When we look at the NACS 2022 Industry Compensation report, it reveals that only 45% of similarly-sized convenience stores offer paid parental leave, and a mere 20% provide tuition or education assistance. Dash In proudly stands out in these areas. We offer Paid Parental Leave and up to 100% tuition reimbursement, plus GED support. We’re invested in giving every team member the opportunity to excel.
Investing in our employees with top-notch benefits truly pays dividends. Not only do they feel valued, but they also choose to stay with us longer. While the NACS report highlights a 130% turnover rate in most convenience stores, Dash In stands out with just a 68% turnover rate for our full-time hourly workers. This underscores that our team is more content and committed, setting us apart from other stores in the industry.
Elevating the Customer and Employee Experience
At Dash In, we’ve redefined what it means to work in convenience retail by putting our people first. We know that when our team is happy, our customers are happy, too. Our comprehensive benefits reflect our commitment to our people, and their well-being translates to positive store performance.
Yes, we’ve embraced modernity with self-checkouts, in-app ordering, and even make-your-own smoothie stations. But in our pursuit of convenience, we’ve never sacrificed the human element. Our team members connect with customers, provide concierge services, and elevate the guest experience. We treat every customer like they’re our neighbors because, at Dash In, they are.
While many convenience stores focus solely on efficiency, we prioritize the human experience. This approach not only sets us apart from competitors, regardless of their size, but it also ensures that everyone, from our customers to our employees, feels valued, respected, and part of something bigger. This is how the Wills Group does convenience retail better.
If you’re looking for a job where you’re truly appreciated and can make a real difference, we invite you to join our Dash In family.