Why Southern Maryland
Growing With Our Community
For nearly a century, we’ve been proud to call La Plata, Maryland our home. We are passionate advocates for Southern Maryland – a region surrounded by water and rich in history. Charles County, where The Wills Group is headquartered, is bordered by the Potomac and Patuxent Rivers and features a vast network of trails on land and water. Adjacent to Charles County is Calvert County, which sits on the edge of the Chesapeake Bay. Both counties lead into St. Mary’s County, one of the four original settlements of the colonies. While our headquarters are within 35 minutes of Alexandria, Virginia and the National Harbor – and just a little over an hour from downtown Washington, D.C. – many of us work and live in Southern Maryland and Virginia’s Chesapeake region. We invite you to take time to explore our region.
Southern Maryland Facts and Figures
27,000 acres of parkland
6,000 acres of public access horse riding trails
826 miles of shoreline
98 historical points of interest
13 state parks and campgrounds
Rich in Culture and History
Southern Maryland is rich in fascinating local culture and history, while charting an exciting course for the future. Here are some things you might not know about Southern Maryland:
- The Washington Redskins may be named for our nation’s capital, but they make their home in Prince George’s County, Maryland.
- Charles County has one of the fastest-growing school systems in Maryland.
- Southern Maryland was home to a number of important battles and raids during the War of 1812, including the Battle of St. Leonard’s Creek.
- Southern Maryland was home to the United States’ first independent cellular phone system, Cellular One.
- Dr. Samuel Mudd House, where John Wilkes Booth famously traveled for medical attention following his escape from Washington D.C., is located in Charles County, MD. It is now a public museum and a notable stop on the Trail of John Wilkes Booth.
- Chapel Point State Park, located on the beautiful Port Tobacco river, offers fishing, hunting and a paddle-in campsite.